Saturday 19 January 2013

Red Riding Hood

 When creating the prints for this fairytale, I always had in mind the colour red to work with simply because its an obvious theme within the story.  I have also combined the colour orange and navy blue heavily as well because I feel they contrast well.

Here are some print designs so far...


As the wolf is one of the main characters within the story, it was very important that I include a wolf character in my designs.  However I did not want the wolf to be scary, as it is not appealing to have a scary wolf face on a garment.  This meant that I had to research and see how I could make my wolf a cute/funny character.

This is what I have come up with...


Hand painted wolf using watercolour, scanned straight into Photoshop and developed further...



I think these two prints are very successful.  I love combining the hand painted look with the digital graphic background.  I think it is different and unique.

The forest also features heavily in the story, therefore I decided to create some quirky trees to play around with.  I thought that the more quirky the trees were the better as it shows a fun aspect to the designs and not a classical one.



Taking the forest design further by breaking down the elements of the tree and the branches.  Using oil pastels and acrylic paint over the top.  I was pleased with the result and also scanned this into Photoshop to see the results..



Makes a nice border print...

I also can't help but add a floral into this collection!!


An example of the digital floral layered and the hand printed floral over laid with metallic foil..



Overall I am really pleased with these fairytale designs, I love my wolf character and it has been refreshing to move away from the colour pink and experiment with more oranges, reds and dark blue.




No comments:

Post a Comment